Coach & Speaker
Core Community, UK
- The Fitness Jungle (with Christopher Connolly; Century-Hutchinson 1986)
- The New Guide to Women’s Health (with Dr. Norma Williams; Macdonalds 1985)
- Dieting Makes You Fat (with Geoffrey Cannon; Century 1983, Sphere 1985, Simon & Schuster 1985. Translated and published also in Holland, Norway, Finland, Japan, etc. (No.1 in the UK non-fiction best-seller list 1983)
- ‘Don’t play by the rules: how to reignite women’s fire in the workplace’ Guardian Women in Leadership, 17 March 2016
- ‘Shared Ownership’ in Coaching at Work, Nov/Dec 2013 [download below]
- ‘What the Cherokee can teach business leaders about sustainability’ Guardian Sustainable Business, 6 August 2013
- ‘Psychosynthesis – A Practical Psychology For Our Times’, April 2013
- ‘The Beast Within – coaching the dark and the light’ in Coaching at Work, May 2011 — “Commended” by the Editorial Board in the category ‘Best Thought Leadership Article, 2013’ [download]
My roots are in depth psychology. I support individuals and teams to understand their strengths and their challenges, articulate their dreams, resolve complex issues (whether about people, systems or strategy) and realise their potential through real action. I encourage people to broaden their horizons and recognise their contribution to the wider global social and environmental issues confronting us. Working with a creative mix of intellectual challenge, psychological insight and reflection (well leavened with humour and a light touch), and a toolkit that includes imagery, metaphor and story, I have established a reputation for growing and maintaining deep personal engagement in my clients and sustained performance and purpose that extends beyond the coaching journey – and, critically, humour!
My career has spanned the arts, health and organisational development. I co-established a successful London contemporary art gallery, then worked as a journalist for 8 years, writing features on the arts, health and women in work for national magazines and newspapers. I held editorial positions at the Sunday Times Magazine and Time Out, and have written, co-written and co-edited a number of books since the 1980’s.
I have chaired numerous conferences and seminars nationally and have radio and television experience, both as a best-selling author (of Dieting Makes You Fat) and as Director of the Parenting Forum. I was the presenter of the first series of a successful live television counselling programme which continued for several series (A Problem Aired, Thames Television, 1987).
Since 2003 I have been a core member of Be the Change (now Be the Change Initiative), a non-profit social change organisation which addresses the interconnected dimensions of sustainability: environment, social justice and personal/spiritual fulfilment. BTCI deliver Symposia and Facilitator Trainings throughout the UK and are affiliated with the Pachamama Alliance in the US. I believe business has a key role in helping shape a better world for all.